- Epilating VS Shaving
- Tips for Choosing a Trimmer for the Bikini Area
- Just What is a Brazilian Style?
- What You Should Know: Special Tips for Epilating Brazilian Style
- Best Way to Epilate Your Bikini Area
- Tips for Choosing an Epilator for the Bikini Area
- Top 8 Best Epilators, Bikini Shavers and Bikini Trimmer Reviews 2019
Let’s be honest, if you have very sensitive skin, then shaving might not work for you down there or if you’re just not into buying a new razor EVERY TIME you have to shave your bikini area.
So, maybe you can epilate (or just trim) the bikini area? Yes, you can!
That’s why investing in the best bikini trimmer or epilator is an excellent idea for 2019!
Ultimately the method a girl uses to remove unwanted hair from the bikini area is a matter of personal choice and preferences. So, let’s look at the pros and cons of each option.
Epilating VS Shaving
- Shaving is fast, easy, and painless.
- Razors are easy to find.
- Hair grows back and can be seen the next day.
- Need water to shave
- Can irritate the skin.
- Shaving has more impact on the environment since you throw razors away frequently and manufacturing plastic has an impact also.
- Epilating lasts for weeks and leaves the skin smooth.
- Epilating is cost and environmentally friendly, you only need the epilator and a source of power to be hair-free for many years.
- Epilating is painful.
- You must have access to a power source.
Tips for Choosing a Trimmer for the Bikini Area
The way how to use an electric razor for bikini area depends on the kind you’re going to chose – wet or dry trimmer. (meaning, if it can go in the shower or not)
If a wet trimmer, then I would advise taking a shower, exfoliating and then trimming it, when the pores are open.
If dry, then I would advise doing the same as above and then, once exiting the shower, using the trimmer.
Electric Razors or Electric Shavers
They’re a good choice for someone who wants a sustainable razor they can use outside of the shower. They do make wet/dry shavers if you prefer to use in the shower.
This type of razor is generally bulkier than manual razors and can pose a challenge shaving the finely detailed bikini area.
In my opinion, if doing the bikini area, then a wet shaver would make the best hair trimmer for the bikini area.
As for legs, it will do its job, but remember even with the best bikini electric razor, you will never get as smooth a shave as with a manual razor.
However, some women perfect the electric style because you can’t cut yourself easily with an electric razor.
Battery Operated Units
They are usually less expensive and they can go anywhere, for last minute touch-ups. They can be tossed in an overnight bag or makeup bag, making them convenient.
You do need to consider the fact that you will need to buy and replace batteries, and that these trimmers usually cannot go in the shower.
They can be corded or cordless.
Cordless units can usually go in the shower, making cleanup afterward a non-issue. A corded model will not need batteries at all, so it is always ready to use as long as you are near a power source.
A good bikini trimmer would have to be a smaller, maneuverable trimmer for the bikini area. Look for one that is light and has a trimmer head about an inch wide, but not much wider.
Just What is a Brazilian Style?
Wait, can you use an epilator for a Brazilian? Yes!
Brazilian style hair removal is when all hair is removed from the pubic and pelvic regions. Brazilian style is also known as Full Bikini wax or Hollywood style.
There are variations on this style that involve leaving some of the pubic hair in place. If you are really adventurous, there are even stencils (link to Amazon.com) to guide you while shaping and designing you perfect pubic hairstyle.
Whatever your personal preference, shaving and epilating will allow you to create your preferred style.
What You Should Know: Special Tips for Epilating Brazilian Style
- It is going to hurt. Start with the area farthest from your intimate area, as this hurts the least. Then work your way in.
- Use a serum afterward. The pubic area is especially prone to bumps and ingrown hair. A top-rated serum many professionals recommend is European Wax Center Ingrown Hair Serum.
- Do not perform this style if you use Accutane. This acne treatment alters skin texture and can cause irritation.
- The area around the bum actually hurts the least.
- You should wait a day, or at least overnight before working out or being intimate after you epilate the area. The area will be very sensitive and the follicles are vulnerable until they heal.
- Sweat combined with activity can introduce bacteria into follicles (which can lead to folliculitis) where the hair has just been removed. This does not apply to shaving or trimming, however. With shaving and trimming, you can resume your normal routine.
Best Way to Epilate Your Bikini Area
If you’re a newbie at epilators or just new to epilating down there, here are some things to keep in mind on how to use an epilator to remove pubic hair.
- Find an Epilator Well Suited For The Bikini Area – See the section on ‘choosing an epilator for the bikini area’ and my reviews on the best epilator for Brazilian below.
- Trim – The area should be trimmed to about ¼” so the hair is not too long, nor too short to effectively epilate.
- Wash The Area and Your Hands Before You Start – Carefully wash your hands and the area you will epilate to avoid introducing bacteria, which can cause infection in hair follicles.
- Hold The Skin As Taught As Possible – The skin in the bikini area is soft and squishy, especially near the labia. Holding the skin taught prevents the tweezers on the epilator from catching skin.
- Take It Slow – If you are in a rush, epilation is not a good choice. Shave instead and epilate in a few weeks. You need to take your time when epilating the bikini area because the hair is strong and hard to remove, and the skin is very soft and sensitive. This is the last place you want to injure yourself.
- Try a Dry Environment – When epilating the bikini area, you must be able to see what you are doing. Water can obscure vision and your shower may be not well lit. Find a well-lit area, and use an epilator with a built-in light. You may even use a small mirror if it helps you see the area better.
- Aftercare is a Must! – Use an after epilation serum to prevent ingrown hairs. Do not work out or have sex right after epilating. Wear loose clothes and cotton panties. Epilation should not be something you do right before a hot date. Plan for the area to be red and sensitive for 24 hours.
Tips for Choosing an Epilator for the Bikini Area
- Consider the Power Source – Your first time epilating the bikini area will take some time, plus, the hair is coarse and hard to remove. The best epilator for bikini will probably be a corded model because they have an unlimited supply of power and are usually stronger and pull coarse hair well.
- Choose a Small Epilator – You don’t want your hand getting tired and there is not a ton of surface area in the pubic region, so you don’t need a lot of tweezers. You need to get around small, curved areas, so an epilator with a smaller epilating field will be better.
- See What You Are Doing – An epilator with a built-in light will help a lot.
- An Epilator with a Trimmer Comes in Handy – If you need to trim the hair first, before epilating, a trimmer will be your best friend.
Top 8 Best Epilators, Bikini Shavers and Bikini Trimmer Reviews 2019
Best Epilator for Bikini
Best Bikini Shaver – Electric
Ok, what about if I don’t want to pull my hair out from the roots? You’re in luck because below you’ll find a good electric bikini shaver reviews.
Best Epilator for Brazilian
Best Epilator for Bikini Area
Best Razor for Bikini Area
Best Bikini Trimmer for Sensitive Skin
Best Bikini Trimmer for Coarse Hair
Best Epilator for Coarse Hair
I hope our guide has helped you decide which is the best bikini trimmer, razor, and epilator for your bikini area.