Ever feel like your mild and soap-free facial cleanser is not thoroughly cleaning your sensitive skin? Want to try the best facial cleansing brush for sensitive skin but are worried that it would do more harm than good?
Or maybe you’re simply lost and want to know which one is the best facial brush for sensitive skin out there that would fit your budget and needs.
Having sensitive skin can be really challenging, you have to be picky and cautious when choosing a product that you would put on or use on your face.
There are times that no matter how mild, natural or organic a product is, it can still cause flare-ups and irritation. That’s why it’s understandable why people with sensitive skin are wary when introduced to the idea of using a cleansing brush.
Aren’t cleaning brushes too abrasive for sensitive skin? Well, I’m happy to share the news that there are brushes specifically made for your sensitive or dry and sensitive skin and we’ll talk about those in a few.
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases if you shop through the links on MissCoty. For more information, read full disclosure here.
- Facial Cleansing Brushes 101
- Best Cleansing Brush for Sensitive Skin
- Best Cleansing Brush for Dry Skin (Dry Sensitive)
- Putting it All Together
Facial Cleansing Brushes 101
For now, let’s get to know how these brushes work and what’s in it for you!
Are Facial Brushes Good For Sensitive Skin?
Regular facial cleansing brushes, whether manual or spinning may be too harsh for people with extra sensitive skin.
On the other hand, facial cleansing brushes made with materials such as thinner and softer bristles or silicone and those that use sonic technology are found to be far less abrasive yet offer deeper cleansing for people with sensitive skin.
Face Cleansing Brush Benefits
Thorough cleansing is important regardless of skin type. At the end of a long day, dirt and products can accumulate on your face and using a gentle cleanser is not enough to remove this build up.
The best facial cleansing brush for sensitive skin works well with your fave cleanser to offer the following benefits:
- Remove deeply seated dirt, makeup, skin care (like sunscreen and moisturizer) and dead skin cells which can dull the skin and block pores causing breakouts.
- Reveal fresher, brighter skin that can absorb skin care products well.
- Improve blood circulation and stimulate collagen production which in turn can help repair damaged skin, reduce wrinkles and improve skin’s firmness.
How Often Should You Use A Facial Cleansing Brush?
An even more often asked question is – should you use a facial brush every day?
While using a facial brush every other day is recommended for people with normal and oily skin, people with dry and sensitive skin should not use the facial cleansing brush more than 2 times a week during the first few weeks of use.
Using the brush more than the recommended amount can make your skin extremely dry and extra sensitive, especially if it’s your first time using the brush.
1-2 times a week is recommended for the first few weeks (up to a month) of using a manual or electric facial cleansing brush.
As you build your skin’s tolerance to your brush of choice, you may slowly increase it to 3 times a week (again doing this for weeks up to a month), until you reach the point where your skin is fully adjusted and can tolerate brushing every other day.
How To Use A Facial Cleansing Brush
- Take off as much product and makeup from your face using an oil-based makeup remover. I like these type of cleansers as they melt makeup off without the need for cotton pads or makeup wipes which may also be abrasive due to its friction against the skin.
- Wet your face with water and apply your favorite cleanser.
- If you’re using a manual facial cleansing brush, wet the bristles under running water and start brushing your face gently in a circular motion.
- For electric facial cleansing brushes, wet the silicone or soft nylon bristles and turn the device on. Brush your face gently in a circular motion.
- Focus the brush for a few seconds on the following areas: forehead, cheeks, nose and your chin. Avoid delicate areas of your face such as your under eyes.
- Rinse as normal and gently pat your skin dry with a soft towel. Your skin is now ready for the next beauty products that are part of your usual regime (Ex. serums, essences, moisturizers, under eye creams and sleeping masks).
When Should You Change Your Cleansing Brushes Head?
Depending on the brand, some electric brushes require its brush heads to be replaced after 3 months of use.
Brands like Foreo do not require any brush head replacement at all (yay!).
A good rule of thumb is to check if the bristles look frayed, worn out and dirty – a perfect concoction for skin irritation! Throw those out immediately and get new ones!
How To Clean Your Facial Cleansing Brush
Cleaning your facial brush is as essential as cleaning your make up brushes. Who would want to use a filthy brush to “clean” their face?
Brushes have tiny crevices that can catch dirt and dead skin cells which together with moisture can be the perfect breeding ground for bacteria. Gross…
Now imagine this dirty tool getting in contact with your sensitive skin – flare up alert!
To avoid getting flare-ups caused by your trusted facial cleansing brush, you can follow these simple cleaning steps:
How to Clean Regular Brushes
- After using, wash your manual facial cleansing brush with mild soap. Massage the bristles using your thumb to get any gunk out.
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
- Shake off excess water (I like to gently squeeze the water out using my index and thumb fingers before brushing it back to maintain its form) and allow to air dry (I blow dry it with hot air sometimes to dry it faster).
- Optional: You may also spritz the bristles with alcohol or any sanitizer to halt bacterial growth.
How to Clean Foreo Luna
- After using, wash your device with mild soap and water. Massage the short silicone bristles gently to remove any debris.
- Rinse thoroughly with water.
- Pat your device dry with a cleaning cloth or towel.
- For best results, spray with Foreo’s Silicone Cleaning Spray then rinse with warm water. This will not only kill bacteria but keep the silicone in tip-top shape to serve you longer.
- Allow the brush to air-dry.
How to Clean Your Clarisonic
- Detach the brush head from the main device by unscrewing it.
- Apply a few drops of liquid mild soap on your fingers and give the bristles and crevices a good scrub a dub! Alternatively, you can also use a toothbrush for a more thorough scrub.
- Thoroughly rinse with warm water.
- Do the same with the brush handle.
- Allow both to air dry separately and store according to the model’s specific instruction.
Foreo and Clarisonic are two famous brands that offer facial cleansing brushes for sensitive skin. However, one works well for plainly sensitive skin while the other is best for the dry and sensitive skin type.
To find out which one is which, check out my recommendations below.
P.S. I know not everyone is stinking rich (not in this economy!), so I included budget-friendly products that work just as good as these big brands. Give them a try, they’ll surely exceed your expectations! 😉
Best Cleansing Brush for Sensitive Skin
Best Cleansing Brush for Dry Skin (Dry Sensitive)
Putting it All Together
Using the best facial cleansing brush for sensitive skin surely offers a lot of skin benefits. The products recommended above fit whatever type of sensitive skin you have and budget, take your pick and choose wisely.
Got a product you’d want me to review? Send your suggestions by dropping me a line down below. Have a great skin ahead!