- Are Home Lasers and IPL the same?
- Why Switch to a Home Laser Machine?
- What to Look for When Buying a Home Laser Hair Removal Machine?
- Best Laser Hair Removal Machines at Home
- Q: Is It Safe to Use Laser Hair Removal at Home?
- Q: What Is the Best Laser Machine for Home Use? What Is the Best Hair Removal System?
- Q: Are There Any Side Effects of Laser Hair Removal?
- Q: Can You Get Skin Cancer from Laser Hair Removal?
- Q: How Permanent is Laser Hair Removal? How Long Will Laser Hair Removal Last?
- Q: Can Hair Removal Cause Hormonal Imbalance?
- Q: What Not to Do BEFORE Laser Hair Removal? What Not to Do AFTER Laser Hair Removal?
- Q: Can Laser Hair Removal Cause More Hair?
- Q: Is it OK to Shave the Day of Laser Hair Removal?
- Q: How Many Days After Laser Hair Removal Can I Tan?
- Q: How Long After Laser Hair Removal Can I Swim?
- Q: How Many Days After Laser Hair Removal Does The Hair Fall Out?
- Q: Can You Shave After Laser Hair Removal?
- Q: Can I Pluck Hairs After Laser Treatment?
- Q: Can I Shower Before Laser Hair Removal? Can I Have a Bath After Laser Hair Removal?
- Q: When Can I Exfoliate After Laser Hair Removal?
- Q: Can I Use a Moisturizer After Laser Hair Removal?
- Q: Does Laser Hair Removal Hurt? Is Brazilian Laser Hair Removal Painful?
- Q: How Many Times Do You Need to Do Laser Hair Removal?
- Q: How Long Do I Have To Wait Between Laser Hair Removal Treatments?
- Q: What Is the Best Laser Hair Removal Machine for Back Hair?
- Putting it All Together
Tired of unwanted hair growing so fast like they’re on steroids? Do you want to stay smooth and hair free for more than 1 day, 1 week, 1 month, 1 year?
If your answer is a big, screaming “YES!”, then this article is for you!
I’ve always struggled with unwanted hair, and that could be because of the Yeti strand in my DNA (thanks dad!).
Either way, I’ve spent thousands of dollars on various temporary hair removal methods and decided to try something that would put a stop on my unwanted hair woes…
My initial session was at a facial clinic. I was assessed and advised that my legs would take 6-8 sessions and underarms 3-4 sessions but wait there’s more…the waiting time between these sessions is 4-6 weeks! Girl, I don’t have time for that!
Yeah, I want smooth legs but availability-wise, I can’t commit. I tried searching for another salon or clinic that offers the same treatment thinking I needed a second opinion.
And whoa! I found something much better: The best laser hair removal machine that I can use from home! I’m #Shookt!
Are Home Lasers and IPL the same?
“Home laser machine” is a general term used by vendors to address both products.
It is important to note that while both Laser and IPL work the same way, they differ in the light used to target the melanin and weaken hair follicles.
Laser hair removal uses a concentrated, single wavelength of light and pulse allowing it to penetrate the skin at a deeper level.
On the other hand, IPL or Intense Pulsed Light uses a gentler broad-spectrum light.
Because of this, Laser tends to be the quickest and most efficient in terms of semi-permanent hair removal while IPL comes a close second and is preferred by people who want a gentler approach to removing skin fuzz.
Wait! Semi-permanent? Yes, Laser hair removal is not completely permanent. It can last for a long time, but some hairs will eventually sprout out.
Electrolysis is the only permanent hair removal method out there. You can expect hair reduction anywhere between 95% and 40%.
Why Switch to a Home Laser Machine?
There are three main reasons why these machines are better than clinic/salon-based treatments:
- Portability – I can take my laser machine everywhere I go. No missed treatments just because I’m elsewhere (in a different state or abroad). I can zap away unwanted hair right in the comfort of my own home or hotel!
- Saves Money – I’ve spent enough dough on hair removal products and will probably spend more if I have not purchased my own laser machine and put an end to my unwanted hair dilemma.
- Fast Results – I don’t have to wait for 4-6 weeks before starting the next treatment, home laser machines are safe enough to be used every two weeks which means, faster results!
What to Look for When Buying a Home Laser Hair Removal Machine?
I know I totally flipped when I learned such product is available on the market, but I had to practice a bit of self-control and do a bit of research before I hit that “Add to Cart” button.
After all, the price is GOLD, baby! So, what are the things to look for when scouting for the best laser hair removal machine?
Your Skin and Hair Tone
Make it a habit to check if a product is suitable for your skin and hair color. Most brands use the Fitzpatrick scale (pictured below) as a guide to inform the consumers which skin colors would work well with their laser/ IPL machines.
For people with naturally blonde, grey and red hair or the deepest skin tone (level VI), I have the best recommendation for you which I will discuss later. You may also try other permanent hair removal methods such as electrolysis.
The Body Parts You’d Use it On
You’d want a machine that can safely work on different areas of the body.
Operative word: safely – not all machines are created equal. Some machines are FDA approved and are safe to be used on the face, others are not.
Treatment Window Size
This is the part of the machine that comes in contact with your skin. You’ll need a bigger window for the legs and a smaller one for the face, underarms and bikini line.
It’ll be a plus if the machine comes with changeable windows to fit your different needs!
Number of Flashes
This will determine how long you can use your machine for. This goes hand in hand with the first bullet point. Your face won’t require the same amount of flashes and sessions as you would for your legs.
So, before settling with the least/most amount of flashes, consider where you’d use it on and the number of sessions you’ll need.
Easy and Comfortable to Use
Find a machine that is not too bulky and complicated to use. Make sure the handheld device fits your hands perfectly and is not too big and heavy.
If you’re planning to use your machine for different parts of the body, then it’s best to choose something that offers a variety of settings to efficiently work on different hair types.
If it comes with a technology that can detect your skin and hair conditions and suggest a level that would work for that, then you have a winner!
Now that you know what to look for when searching for the best laser hair removal machine on the market, let me introduce you to the best and brightest players in the field of home lasers (including my favorite!).
Best Laser Hair Removal Machines at Home
My Pick of The Best Laser Hair Removal Machine 2019
Best Laser Hair Removal Device for Ladies
Best Laser Hair Removal Machine for the Face
Best Laser Hair Removal Machine for Thick Hair
Best Laser Hair Removal Machine for PCOS
Best Laser Hair Removal Machine for Dark Skin
Q: Is It Safe to Use Laser Hair Removal at Home?
Absolutely! If you choose the right FDA approved product (recommended products above!) and follow the instructions to a T, I don’t see any reasons why it wouldn’t be safe.
Q: What Is the Best Laser Machine for Home Use? What Is the Best Hair Removal System?
The best laser machine for home use should be compact and easy to use wherever you are in the house (even if you are away from the electric socket!).
I love Philips Lumea because it’s such a great all-in-one product that is cordless, so I can bring and use it from the bathroom to the bedroom. Great product that offers true value!
Q: Are There Any Side Effects of Laser Hair Removal?
Depending on your skin tone and type, some people may experience redness, irritation, and discoloration if the wrong product or setting is used.
Q: Can You Get Skin Cancer from Laser Hair Removal?
This remains as a myth. No study or research has proven that lasers used in laser hair removal can eventually cause cancer.
The only risks noted were redness, irritation and some discoloration which differs from one person to another and how they use the product.
Q: How Permanent is Laser Hair Removal? How Long Will Laser Hair Removal Last?
It all depends on the area being treated and the hair type. Although lasers are not as permanent as electrolysis, you’ll stay hair-free for an average of 6-12 months after your final treatment.
An annual touch up may be required to keep the results longer. As these lasers attack the roots, they deteriorate completely over time disabling them to produce hair resulting in a longer smooth-skin-feel.
Q: Can Hair Removal Cause Hormonal Imbalance?
No. Some studies concluded that lasers can stimulate and hasten hair regrowth for people with existing hormonal imbalance but not for those with balanced hormonal levels.
Q: What Not to Do BEFORE Laser Hair Removal? What Not to Do AFTER Laser Hair Removal?
Keep these pointers in mind before and after your laser hair removal treatment to maximize its results:
- No Tanning – This makes your skin sensitive to lasers and might affect its efficiency.
- Don’t wax or epilate (unless required by the product, most products only require shaving for efficiency).
- Don’t drink caffeine – You wouldn’t want to be jumpy and nervous during your session.
- Don’t use NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.) a week or two before treatment as these drugs can make you photosensitive and susceptible to bruising.
- Never skip the patch test – you need to see how your skin reacts to the laser.
- Don’t skip a shower before treatment – a clean body/area increases the laser’s efficiency.
Keep the below-mentioned points in mind for the next 48 – 72 hours after your session
- Sun exposure.
- Don’t skip and skimp on sunscreen.
- Don’t wear tight restrictive clothing.
- Don’t take part in physical activities that make you sweat excessively.
- Jacuzzis, saunas and swimming pools are to be avoided.
Q: Can Laser Hair Removal Cause More Hair?
Only for people with hormonal imbalance.
Q: Is it OK to Shave the Day of Laser Hair Removal?
For home use, it is much better to shave at least a day before your treatment to give your skin some time to heal or recover. Plus, then the laser can actually ‘catch’ the hair’s location.
Q: How Many Days After Laser Hair Removal Can I Tan?
2-4 weeks after your treatment is suggested to avoid any adverse reactions.
Q: How Long After Laser Hair Removal Can I Swim?
You have to wait for 24 – 48 after treatment to give your skin time to recuperate from being in a heat sensitive state.
Q: How Many Days After Laser Hair Removal Does The Hair Fall Out?
For me, I began seeing results right after treatment (I can easily pluck some hairs with my fingers). Approximately, it takes 4-10 days to see a drastic amount of hair shedding.
Q: Can You Shave After Laser Hair Removal?
If you’re wondering how soon can you shave after laser hair removal, then know that you can shave 48 hours after your treatment or in between sessions for as long as your skin is not irritated.
Q: Can I Pluck Hairs After Laser Treatment?
Plucking and epilating the hair is highly discouraged. As you’re pulling the hairs from the root, which is the same as shaving after waxing, you’re reversing the benefits.
Q: Can I Shower Before Laser Hair Removal? Can I Have a Bath After Laser Hair Removal?
Taking a shower is highly recommended before treatment. Showering removes oil, dirt and dead skin cells that may affect the laser’s efficiency.
It’s not advised to shower within 24 – 48 hours after treatment as your skin is still sensitive to heat.
Q: When Can I Exfoliate After Laser Hair Removal?
People with normal skin can exfoliate as early as 3-4 days after treatment. If you have sensitive skin wait for at least a week before you exfoliate.
Exfoliating is highly encouraged to prevent ingrown hairs.
Q: Can I Use a Moisturizer After Laser Hair Removal?
Yes! It is recommended to use a gentle, fragrance-free moisturizer after laser hair removal. This will help protect your skin and nurse it back to health.
I used Aloe Vera gel.
Q: Does Laser Hair Removal Hurt? Is Brazilian Laser Hair Removal Painful?
Depending on your pain tolerance and the level of intensity, laser hair removal can be painless or may sting a bit (like you’ve been snapped with a rubber band).
Lower intensities are gentle and nearly painless but might take a few more sessions to complete your treatment than using maximum intensity.
Due to the sensitivity of the area, doing a Brazilian may hurt if you’re using the highest intensity. I suggest beginning with a gentler intensity and work your way up as you build your tolerance.
Q: How Many Times Do You Need to Do Laser Hair Removal?
It all depends on the area you’re treating. Face and underarms normally require 3-4 sessions while bigger areas (like your arms and legs) and areas with thicker hair (bikini line) may require 6-8 sessions.
Q: How Long Do I Have To Wait Between Laser Hair Removal Treatments?
What’s good with these home laser machines is that you only wait for two weeks before starting your next treatment.
Q: What Is the Best Laser Hair Removal Machine for Back Hair?
Definitely the Philips Lumea. It’s cordless so you can take it anywhere and has different treatment window attachments, there’s definitely one that would work well for your back!
Note: if you’re treating the back area, have someone do it for you!
Putting it All Together
The best laser hair removal machine is a great investment that can put an end to continuous shaving, waxing, and plucking. You get the same salon or clinic results right at home and for a lesser cost.
Choosing the right product based on skin and hair color plays a big role in your overall hair removal success.
My recommendations above are all FDA approved and guaranteed gentle on specified skin and hair tones.
I’m glad to share my two cents on laser hair removal (I know it seems more like 5 bucks, lengthwise!).
Feel free to share your experiences on the products above and any recommendations, we’re on this journey together!
Till the next article!