Tired of unwanted hair growing as if they’re on steroids? Wish you could stay smooth and hair-free for more than 1 day, week, month, or even year?
If your answer is a big, screaming “YES!”, then this article is for you!
I’ve always struggled with unwanted hair, spending thousands on hair removal treatments, only for it to regrow and land me back where I started.
Cue: At Home Laser Hair Removal Machines
I’ve done some research and put together a list of the best at home laser hair removal machines so that you can save time and money by avoiding the salon.
Read on for the inside scoop!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases if you shop through the links on MissCoty. For more information, read full disclosure here.
- Best Laser Hair Removal Machines for Home Use
- Philips Lumea Prestige IPL Hair Removal
- BoSidin Facial & Body Hair Removal for Women
- Gillette Venus Silk Expert IPL 5001
- Gillette Venus Silk Expert IPL 3001
- Veezy Face and Body IPL Laser Hair Removal Device
- Smooth Skin Bare Ultrafast IPL Hair Removal System
- Silk’n Flash & Go
- Remington iLight Ultra Face and Body Hair Removal System
- DEESS Hair Removal System Series 3 Plus
- MLAY IPL Hair Removal Device
- Kevinste IPL Hair Removal System
- Me Smooth Permanent Hair Reduction Device
- MiSMON Laser Hair Removal IPL Device
- Feeke IPL Laser Hair Removal Device
- But, How to Choose?
- Are Home Lasers and IPL the same?
- Why Switch to a Home Laser Machine?
- Consider These Things Before Buying
- Is It Safe to Use Laser Hair Removal at Home?
- What Is the Best Laser Machine for Home Use?
- Are There Any Side Effects of Laser Hair Removal?
- How Long Will Laser Hair Removal Last?
- What Not to Do BEFORE/After Laser Hair Removal?
- Is it OK to Shave the Day of Laser Hair Removal?
- How Many Days After Laser Hair Removal Can I Tan?
- How Long After Laser Hair Removal Can I Swim?
- How Many Days After Laser Hair Removal Does The Hair Fall Out?
- Can You Shave After Laser Hair Removal?
- Can I Pluck Hairs After Laser Treatment?
- Can I Shower Before Laser Hair Removal?
- When Can I Exfoliate After Laser Hair Removal?
- Can I Use a Moisturizer After Laser Hair Removal?
- Does Laser Hair Removal Hurt?
- Is Brazilian Laser Hair Removal Painful?
- How Many Times Do You Need to Do Laser Hair Removal?
- How Long Do I Have To Wait Between Laser Hair Removal Treatments?
- What Is the Best Laser Hair Removal Machine for Back Hair?
- Putting it All Together
Best Laser Hair Removal Machines for Home Use
So, there you have it. A list of the best options out there for at home laser hair removal machines.
But, How to Choose?
Having a list of the best products is all well and good, but you still have to choose between them, right?
I know, it’s overwhelming!
First, I’m going to explain the difference between actual laser hair removal and IPL, and then give you some pointers on how to decide which model to go for.
Are Home Lasers and IPL the same?
A “home laser machine” is a general term used by vendors to address both products.
It is important to note that while both Laser and IPL work the same way (and both provide longer-lasting smoothness than either waxing or shaving!), they differ in the light used to target the melanin and weaken hair follicles.
Laser hair removal uses a concentrated, single wavelength of light allowing it to penetrate the skin at a deeper level.
On the other hand, IPL or Intense Pulsed Light uses a gentler broad-spectrum light.
Because of this, Laser tends to be the quickest and most efficient in terms of semi-permanent hair removal while IPL comes a close second and is preferred by people who want a gentler approach to removing skin fuzz.
But wait! Semi-permanent?
Yes, Laser hair removal is not completely permanent. It can last for a long time, but some hairs will eventually regrow.
Electrolysis is the only permanent hair removal method out there. You can expect hair reduction anywhere between 95% and 40%.
Why Switch to a Home Laser Machine?
There are three main reasons why these machines are better than clinic/salon-based treatments:
- Portability – I can take my laser machine everywhere I go. No missed treatments just because I’m away from home. I can zap away unwanted hair right in the comfort of my own home or hotel!
- Saves Money – I’ve spent enough dough on brands promising they have the best hair removal products and would have probably spent more if I had not purchased my own laser machine and put an end to my unwanted hair dilemma.
- Fast Results – I don’t have to wait for 4-6 weeks before starting the next treatment, home laser machines are safe enough to be used every two weeks which can mean faster results!
- Bonus: I can control the intensity based on how much I can tolerate.
Consider These Things Before Buying
I know I totally flipped when I found out that home laser machines were a thing. But, I had to practice a bit of self-control and do a bit of research before I hit that “Add to Cart” button.
After all, they’re a lot cheaper than going to a salon, but they’re still a lot of money.
So, what are the things to look for when scouting for the best laser hair removal machine?
Your Skin and Hair Tone
Make it a habit to check if a product is suitable for your skin and hair color. Most brands use the Fitzpatrick scale (pictured below) as a guide to inform consumers on which skin colors would work well with their laser/ IPL machines.
The Body Parts You’d Use it On
You’ll want a machine that can safely work on the parts of the body you want to use it on.
Operative word: safely – not all machines are created equal. Some machines are FDA approved and are safe to be used on the face, others are not.
Treatment Window Size
This is the part of the machine that comes in contact with your skin. You’ll need a bigger window for the legs and a smaller one for the face, underarms and bikini line.
It’ll be a plus if the machine comes with changeable windows to fit your different needs!
Number of Flashes
This will determine how long you can use your machine for. This goes hand in hand with the first bullet point. Your face won’t require the same amount of flashes and sessions as you would for your legs.
So, before settling with the least/most amount of flashes, consider where you’d use it, the number of sessions you’ll need, and if the machine has replaceable cartridges with more flashes available for purchase so that you don’t have to buy a whole new machine.
Easy and Comfortable to Use
Find a machine that is not too bulky and complicated to use. Make sure the handheld device fits your hands perfectly and is not too big and heavy.
If you’re planning to use your machine for different parts of the body, then it’s best to choose something that offers a variety of settings to efficiently work on different hair types.
If it comes with a technology that can detect your skin and hair conditions and suggest a level that would work for that, then you have a winner!
Now that you know what to look for when searching for the best laser hair removal machine on the market, let me introduce you to the best and brightest players in the field of home lasers (including my favorite!).
Is It Safe to Use Laser Hair Removal at Home?
Absolutely! If you choose the right FDA approved product (recommended products above!) and follow the instructions to a T, I don’t see any reasons why it wouldn’t be safe.
What Is the Best Laser Machine for Home Use?
The best laser machine for home use should be compact and easy to use wherever you are in the house (even if you are away from the electric socket!).
I love Philips Lumea because it’s such a great all-in-one product that is cordless, so I can use it anywhere from the bathroom to the bedroom. It’s a great product that offers true value!
Are There Any Side Effects of Laser Hair Removal?
Depending on your skin tone and type, some people may experience redness, irritation, and discoloration if the wrong product or setting is used.
How Long Will Laser Hair Removal Last?
It all depends on the area being treated and the hair type. Although lasers are not as permanent as electrolysis, you’ll stay hair-free for an average of 6-12 months after your final treatment.
An annual touch up may be required to keep the results longer. As these lasers attack the roots, they deteriorate completely over time disabling them to produce hair resulting in a longer smooth-skin-feel.
What Not to Do BEFORE/After Laser Hair Removal?
Keep these pointers in mind before and after your laser hair removal treatment to maximize its results:
- No Tanning – This makes your skin sensitive to lasers and might affect its efficiency.
- Don’t wax or epilate (unless required by the product, most products only require shaving for efficiency).
- Don’t drink caffeine – You wouldn’t want to be jumpy and nervous during your session.
- Don’t use NSAIDs (aspirin, ibuprofen, etc.) a week or two before treatment as these drugs can make you photosensitive and susceptible to bruising.
- Never skip the patch test – you need to see how your skin reacts to the laser.
- Don’t skip a shower before treatment – a clean body/area increases the laser’s efficiency.
Keep the below-mentioned points in mind for the next 48 – 72 hours after your session
- Avoid sun exposure.
- Don’t skip or skimp on sunscreen.
- Don’t wear tight restrictive clothing.
- Don’t take part in physical activities that make you sweat excessively.
- Jacuzzis, saunas, and swimming pools are to be avoided.
- Scented moisturizers and skin products should be avoided.
Is it OK to Shave the Day of Laser Hair Removal?
For home use, it is much better to shave at least a day before your treatment to give your skin some time to heal or recover. Plus, then the laser can actually ‘catch’ the hair’s location.
How Many Days After Laser Hair Removal Can I Tan?
2-4 weeks after your treatment is suggested to avoid any adverse reactions.
How Long After Laser Hair Removal Can I Swim?
You have to wait for 24 – 48 hours after treatment to give your skin time to recuperate from being in a heat-sensitive state.
How Many Days After Laser Hair Removal Does The Hair Fall Out?
For me, I began seeing results after a week (I could easily pluck some hairs with my fingers). Usually, it takes 4-10 days to see some hair shedding.
Can You Shave After Laser Hair Removal?
You can shave 48 hours after your treatment or in between sessions, as long as your skin is not irritated.
Can I Pluck Hairs After Laser Treatment?
Plucking and epilating the hair is highly discouraged. As you’re pulling the hairs from the root, which is the same as shaving after waxing, you’re reversing the benefits.
Can I Shower Before Laser Hair Removal?
Taking a shower is highly recommended before treatment. Showering removes oil, dirt and dead skin cells that may affect the laser’s efficiency.
It’s not advised to shower within 24 – 48 hours after treatment as your skin is still sensitive to heat.
When Can I Exfoliate After Laser Hair Removal?
People with normal skin can exfoliate as early as 3-4 days after treatment. If you have sensitive skin wait for at least a week before you exfoliate.
Exfoliating is highly encouraged to prevent ingrown hairs.
Speaking of which, here are my favorites for the best ingrown hair products.
Can I Use a Moisturizer After Laser Hair Removal?
Yes! It is recommended to use a gentle, fragrance-free moisturizer after laser hair removal. This will help protect your skin and nurse it back to health.
I used Aloe Vera gel, but I’ve recently found that CeraVe daily moisturizer (not scented) does a better job of softening the skin.
Does Laser Hair Removal Hurt?
Depending on your pain tolerance and the level of intensity, laser hair removal can be painless or may sting a bit (like you’ve been snapped with a rubber band).
Lower intensities are gentle and nearly painless but might take a few more sessions to complete your treatment than using maximum intensity.
Is Brazilian Laser Hair Removal Painful?
Due to the sensitivity of the area, doing a Brazilian may hurt if you’re using the highest intensity. I suggest beginning with a gentler intensity and work your way up as you build your tolerance.
However, for me personally, only the labia part is a bit more painful.
How Many Times Do You Need to Do Laser Hair Removal?
It all depends on the area you’re treating. Face and underarms normally require 5-6 sessions while bigger areas (like your arms and legs) and areas with thicker hair (bikini line) may require 7-11 sessions.
How Long Do I Have To Wait Between Laser Hair Removal Treatments?
What’s good with these home laser machines is that you only wait for two weeks before starting your next treatment.
What Is the Best Laser Hair Removal Machine for Back Hair?
Definitely the Philips Lumea. It’s cordless so you can take it anywhere and has different treatment window attachments, there’s definitely one that would work well for your back!
Putting it All Together
The best at home laser hair removal machine is a great investment that can put an end to continuous shaving, waxing, and plucking. You get the same salon or clinic results right at home and for a lesser cost.
Choosing the right product based on skin and hair color plays a big role in your overall hair removal success.
I hope my recommendations above have helped you decide which laser hair removal machine is for you. Just don’t forget to read the “important note” for each product, to know if it will work for your skin and hair tone.
Feel free to share your experiences on the products above and any recommendations, we’re on this journey together!
Till the next article!