So you want to have a pain free wax?
It’s that time of the evening, you’re about to have some well-earned you time, have a shower, clean yourself up and… Waxing, ugh! It strikes fear in our hearts to think of the pain it brings.
But no pain no gain, right?
The immediate fear is the pain factor. So what can we do about that? How do we make it a little easier for us in this cleaning period? By getting one of the best numbing creams for waxing, my friend!
Yes, it exists for waxing purposes and more! The best numbing cream for Brazilian Waxing? Even the idea of a ‘Brazilian Wax’ is a bit scary…
But let me help you and show you some examples of the creams available! Let’s have a look at how it works, and what the best numbing cream for waxing could be for you!
Disclosure: This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases if you shop through the links on MissCoty. For more information, read full disclosure here.
- Before You Start
- Best Numbing Creams for Waxing 2023
- What is Lidocaine?
- Is It OK to Use Numbing Cream Before Getting Waxed?
- How to Use Numbing Cream Before Waxing?
- How Long Does It Take for Numbing Cream to Wear Off?
- Does Numbing Cream Ruin Tattoos?
- How Well Does Numbing Cream Work?
- Are there Numbing Wipes for Waxing?
- What is the Strongest Numbing Cream for Waxing, Over the Counter?
- To Wax and Beyond
Before You Start
Just a few pointers before you start this pain-free journey of waxing.
‘Is it OK to use numbing cream before getting waxed?’ I hear you ask.
It was a new concept to me too until I tried it. It’s a big fat yes!
It will really help bury the dread of waxing and you’ll never do it again without it! Both men and women can use it on any area of the body that you wish to be waxed.
It can even be used for tattooing, removal of tattoos, or just general aches for a numbing sensation!
Just be sure to always read the label and instructions if provided and seek medical advice if you have any reactions.
Definitely try a patch test with the numbing cream or gel you will use to make sure you’re not allergic!
Let’s have a look at real products to see what’s good and what’s not!
Best Numbing Creams for Waxing 2023
Ebanel Numb 520 Cream
A lidocaine based product (5%) for use of numbing for waxing. It temporarily blocks the pathway of pain signals along nerves. It stops the sodium from entering the nerve ending.
External use only with this product.
- You can reapply up to 6 times a day if needed.
- It stays numb for 10-20 minutes at a time.
- It’s 1.35oz only, so pricy.
- It can take up to 20 minutes for the cream to work.
Medinumb Lidocaine Numbing Cream
It’s made of lidocaine (4%) with Aloe Vera and non-oil based ingredients. It’s approved by the FDA (Food and Drug Administration) Federal Agency of the USA.
- Up to 2 hours of numbness.
- It’s 2oz making it a sizable amount for use.
- Can be used for sunburn also.
- It takes up to 30 minutes for the cream to numb.
Hush Anesthetic Tattoo numbing Gel
Advertised for tattoo sessions but you can also use it for the same numbing effect before your waxing session.
The product can last up to 2 hours, is 60g and has childproof caps.
- Gel consistency.
- Lidocaine 4%
- Ingredients not stated so you would have to get in contact with the company.
- Additional use of plastic saran wraps to activate it better, unlike the other creams.
SUPER NUMB Anesthetic Skin Numbing Cream
This is a smaller packaging (30g, about 1 oz.) that will cover approximately 6” x 6” area of skin. It is said that you can use this product before tattooing, laser hair removal, waxing or piercing.
Due to the size of this cream, I think this would be great for smaller areas like the bikini line, or for the upper lip if you really can’t handle the pain.
- Lidocaine 5%
- Non-oily, water-based cream.
- Again, will need to use saran wrap for it to activate.
Relax and Wax - No Scream Cream
This is made specifically with waxing in mind. Apply it 30-45 minutes before your waxing session.
However, note that it should be applied in a thick consistency, not rubbed in the skin like lotion. The skin needs to absorb the cream to have numbing effects.
Its active ingredient is Benzocaine 20%
- Can be used in the bikini area, lip, eyebrows, underarms, and legs
- 4 oz, which is a lot bigger than other creams on this list.
- Very small package (28.4g, or about 1 oz.)
Brazilian Menthol Pain Relieving Cream
This cream contains menthol and natural Epsom Salts which is similar to sea salt. This leaves your skin feeling soft.
- Not greasy, so easy to spread.
- It’s more natural as it doesn’t use Lidocaine.
- The natural extracts might not work as well as if it had Lidocaine in.
- It hasn’t been evaluated by the FDA, therefore, the safety of the product isn’t guaranteed as much as one that has been evaluated.
Numb-ify Numbing Cream
This FDA approved product has one of the highest percentage of lidocaine on the market which is more numbing agency for your body!
- 5% lidocaine means it has extra strength and more of a numbing capability.
- It can come in a spray gel, cream or liquid gel for preference.
- It can look unappealing in the form of yellow cream.
- It can have an extremely unpleasant smell if left on for too long.
So there’s the fruit to the numbing tree, but I’m sure you have a few more questions before you purchase the best numbing lotion for waxing.
What is Lidocaine?
Lidocaine is a numbing medication. It is used to numb the tissue on the human body. It has many uses but the use in cream is to numb a specific chosen area.
Is It OK to Use Numbing Cream Before Getting Waxed?
Of course! It makes the experience less painful. It may not officially rid you of pain but it certainly will decrease it!
How to Use Numbing Cream Before Waxing?
Apply a thick layer to the area you want waxing. Leave it for a dedicated amount of time stated in the instructions to numb.
Always read the label and instructions on numbing cream you purchase to make sure that you get an accurate instruction.
How Long Does It Take for Numbing Cream to Wear Off?
It depends on your product. Some can be active for 20 minutes, others for an hour, two hours. Read the instructions on the product you will purchase for more guidance.
Does Numbing Cream Ruin Tattoos?
Not at all! In fact, it can help the process of being inked as it will lessen the pain you experience! Rubbing it on to a tattoo won’t affect the aesthetic value of your tattoo. Phew!
How Well Does Numbing Cream Work?
It depends on how much Lidocaine is used in the product as the higher the concentration, the more it will numb. It can only work to a certain degree as it just blocks the pain receptors for a certain amount of time, not shuts them off.
Are there Numbing Wipes for Waxing?
Yes! However, these aren’t nearly as available as the numbing cream is. You could easily use a cloth and numbing cream for the same effect. The reviews are based on the best numbing lotion for waxing, all lotion, no wipes!
What is the Strongest Numbing Cream for Waxing, Over the Counter?
What about over the counter numbing cream for waxing, you say?
All numbing creams have to be under 5% to be sold over the counter, otherwise a professional would have to give you a prescription for anything higher than 5%.
Always consult a doctor if you’re unsure about a product you want to use, or if your skin reactions unnaturally to the creams.
To Wax and Beyond
So your waxing adventure begins. Can you use numbing cream for waxing? Yes, you can! We all share this common goal of removing hair where it must be forever. The least we can do is prolong the process of it returning!
Be sure to let us know which is the best numbing cream for waxing in your opinion (if it’s not mentioned here), which one gave you a wonderful, satisfactory result. Help your sisters out!