- How Do Period Panties Work?
- What Makes Period Panties Different from Regular Panties?
- How Do You Use Period Panties?
- How Do You Wash Period Panties?
- Tips and Tricks When Using Period Panties
- The 7 Best Period Panties on the Market
- Putting It All Together
It’s the most wonderful time of the year… I mean, month! That wouldn’t be bad though, if we had our periods once a year, just like Christmas.
Yes, let’s talk about that time of the month where we paint the town red (like literally!)… period days!
One word can describe me when I’m on my period, I’m a total b@#$h. And who wouldn’t? You get this feeling of being ripped from within, cramps, the emotional whirlwind, having weird food cravings (and a food baby afterward), feeling uncomfortable and icky with your menstrual product of choice.
Nothing feels right! While there’s not much I can do with the moodiness and food cravings, I know I can tweak some things in my routine to make my period a little bit more bearable and comfortable.
How? Through Yoga, healthy eating, iron supplements and… guess what? … the best period panties!
How Do Period Panties Work?
Wait, firstly, what the hell are period panties?
A period panty is the Wonder Woman of the underwear world.
This menstrual sanitary product disguised as a cutesy (even sexy) underwear works by trapping wetness within its padded core (aka the crotch area), while its double layer ensures leakproof protection all over.
Depending on the brand and the type you buy, it can keep you dry and comfortable for a good amount of time.
Period panties come in different shapes and sizes. The most common one is the hip-hugger style. Some brands also offer bikini, thong, sports, boy shorts, and brief styles to fit a woman’s underwear style.
What Makes Period Panties Different from Regular Panties?
If there’s a world championship for period absorbency and staying leak and stain free, period panties would’ve bagged the title.
The key to what makes them superior over regular panties lies in the material used to create these panties. Thus, period panties can be worn on its own or as a supplement to other period products such as pads or tampons.
The best period panties are:
- Highly absorbent and discreet (Read: doesn’t feel and look like a diaper).
- Comfortable and cool to wear.
- Made of leakproof material.
- Easy to wash and doesn’t stain.
- Bonus points if they are fashionable too!
How Do You Use Period Panties?
Period panties are worn like regular underwear. You can wear it on its own on the week that your period is due to start.
If you have a pretty heavy flow then you could wear it on its own on days 1, 6 and 7, as we usually have a lighter flow.
Then I’d wear it with a good organic tampon on the heaviest days (days 2-5). At night, a good choice could be the Intimate Portal panty alone (no tampons nor pads).
How Do You Wash Period Panties?
Period panties are not cheap. Therefore, you’d want to give them your best care (like what you’re giving your finest lingerie) to get the most use out of it.
Make it a habit to read the washing instructions as some panties can be washed in the washer while some can’t.
As with regular panties that can stain going over a pad or tampon, or when a menstrual cup runs over, I think that it’s best to wash these specialized period panties by hand with mild detergent and warm water rather than just dumping them in the washer.
I’d also advise to air dry your period panties than tossing them in the dryer as airdrying can help preserve the quality of the fabric and its layers.
Tips and Tricks When Using Period Panties
- One period panty is definitely not enough to last you your entire period, it’s best to have 2-3, so you can change them while the other one is being washed or dried.
- If you know that you are a heavy bleeder, supplement the panty with a tampon or pad. If you want to use the panty alone, make sure to bring an extra panty so you can change into a new one in case the one you’re wearing gets soaked.
- While there are thong style period panties available, these are only good for super light days. Don’t live dangerously and wear them on your heaviest days, unless you want leaks.
- These panties can mask a good amount of period odor. For your peace of mind, you can spray the outer side of the panty with some feminine deodorant/spray.
- No matter how thin these panties are, the double layer can feel quite hot especially if you’re wearing them with jeans. Wear it with light, comfortable clothing (especially during summer).
Being a pad-menstrual cup combo user for years, I thought of maybe living on the edge a little bit and giving period panties a try. I must admit I was really skeptical at first.
Like seriously, how can a panty do such a good job in absorbing blood without me waking up to a crime scene or literally painting the town red? Is that really possible?
After a night of sleeping in one, I concluded that yes, these really do work. No leaks, no blood-stained sheets, yay! (OK, I meant blood-stained towel, I couldn’t completely trust the panties from the get-go)
I felt really comfortable and dry (not Egyptian desert dry though, but not soaking wet in my own blood either!).
This is a really great alternative to wearing pads and tampons and probably cheaper in the long run! So which brands are out there? Which should you buy? Read on to find out!
The 7 Best Period Panties on the Market
Putting It All Together
Period panties are such a lifesaver for women. Whether you’re looking for a more natural approach in dealing with period blood (fewer chemicals that come in contact with your body and less environmental impact) or something to back up your regular period products, the products mentioned above are there to fill the void and do the nasty job that our regular panties can’t.
Imagine, you won’t have to throw away stained undies anymore, just wear these period panties around during your period week and you’re good. No more worrying about getting leaks or stains that are hard to remove nor tote around bulky pads or tampons.
My personal favorites are the Luna and Intimate Portal undies. I believe they’ll make your period week more bearable and comfortable.
Have you tried period panties before? Which of the products mentioned above piqued your interest? Let me know how period panties changed your life in the comments box below.
Looking forward to hearing from you girls! Ciao!